MEET THE COACHES
Having worked with pastors in a variety of settings for over 25 years, I have a unique understanding of many of the day to day issues pastors face – balance with work and family – taking their Sabbath – getting ministries going in their churches – feeling stuck – feeling lonely and isolated.
My passion is working with people in ministry, helping them to prioritize the myriad of expectations in their lives, getting them reconnected with the passions that initially drew them into the ministry to begin with.
As a former therapist, many pastors shared their concerns with me but it didn’t feel like they needed therapy to get over something in their past but rather support and encouragement to find better ways of moving forward in their ministries in order to support sustainability and longevity in their calls.
When I discovered coaching, I immediately set my course to enroll in a Christian coaching program with the sole intent of supporting my sisters and brothers in the ministry.
God has truly blessed this ministry, walking alongside ministry professionals through the coaching process.
A little about me personally is that I am married to a wonderful man, Arvin and together we have three beautiful daughters – Natasha, Nastia and Annie. I am a passionate reader, I love to knit, walking in the woods reenergizes me and connecting with friends is life giving.
Arvin and Barbara
Nastia, Annie and Natasha
Credentials & Ministry Experience
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC) through the International Coach Federation (ICF)
- Over 170 hours of certified professional coach training
- Member of the International Coach Federation
- Member of the Christian Coaches Network
- Certified Human Behavior Consultant (DISC inventory)
- Strengths Champion Certified Coach
- Healthy Start Regional Director — working with congregations during the first year of a new pastoral ministry
- MSW, University of Illinois, Chicago Campus
- BA, Luther College, Decorah, IA
- Author (see Resources page)
- Peer Coach Coordinator for the Northwest Synod of Wisconsin (ELCA)
- Professional Christian speaker presenting at dozens of events over the years
- Worked at Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan (church and community relations, church programs, therapist) for 17 years
- Missionary in Tanzania
For the past 19 years, it has been my joy to partner with the people of Immanuel in Pepin, WI, a beautiful little village in Mississippi bluff country, a congregation in the Lutheran tradition with the gifts of individuals from many different faith backgrounds.
I come to coaching out of a spirit of gratitude. I was not a pastor at Immanuel very long, when I realized that, in the midst of a busy life in parish ministry, I needed space to reflect and think, create and clarify goals, and find ways to be a creative, responsive partner in ministry and leadership.
I’m married to Steve and we have two grown children, Dylan and Karolina. We love spending time with family and friends, riding our tandem bike, reading good books, and chasing after our dogs, Scout and Jem.
Credentials & Ministry Experience
- Mayo Certified Wellness Coach
- Spiritual Director, Christos Center for Spiritual Formation, Lino Lakes, MN
- Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator, based on the work of Dr. Brené Brown
- MDiv, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, MN
- BS, Moorhead State University, Moorhead, MN
- Parish Pastor for 19 years
- Retreat Leadership, Holden Village, Chelan, WA
- Retreat Leadership, Koinonia, Highland Lake, NY
- Luther Seminary, Alumni Council
- Writer, Daily Text, Mount Carmel Ministries, Alexandria, MN
- Coach, Healthy Leaders Serving Healthy Congregations, NW Synod of Wisconsin
Tammy L. Devine
Tammy Devine is a strategic and systemic whole person promoter of well-being, through education and inspiration. Devine collaborates with thought leaders to facilitate and motivate whole person lifestyle choices and serves as an external wellness consultant and coach to integrate well-being.
Deacon Tammy Devine is a registered nurse, (BA, Augustana University, Sioux Falls), and holds a Master’s in leadership from Luther Seminary. She has completed preparation as a parish nurse/coordinator, and completed Coach training through Auburn Theological Seminary.
Devine is ICF Certified and focuses on health, Healing, and Wholeness. She served as the Wellness Manager for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, serving the church through Portico Benefit Services.
Credentials, Education & Ministry Experience
- I am passionate about healing and wholeness for all. I am called to accompany, equip and empower God’s people to live from their gifts and values and support them as they grow in their understanding of who they have been created to be, while remembering whose they are.
- Throughout my life I have struggled to find my voice. After a series of family deaths, and a difficult divorce, I have been living into my prophetic voice. I am a Deacon in the ELCA currently serving as ELCA Wellness Manager who focuses on whole person well-being. I am a healer, known as a truth teller, and change agent. I am passionate about helping all people un-wrap their gifts, name their core values and align and share their gifts and values for the sake of wholeness, (recognizing every member is needed for the body to be whole).
- Registered Nurse: Arlington Community Hospital (1981-1984)
- Director of Nursing: Southern Metro Medical Clinics (1984-1995)
- Parish Nurse Coordinator Martin Luther Manor (1995-2000)
- Director of Wellness Martin Luther Manor (2000-2004)
- ELCA Wellness Manager ELCA Board of Pensions/Portico Benefit Services (2004-2018)
- I serve on the Board for LeaderWise
- Past member of Board of Directors for Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center
- Northern Wings Spirit in the Desert
- Various roles at Peace Lutheran Church
- I value family in the broadest definition. I have a blended family, four children, and eleven grandchildren.
Our Commitment to You
As your coach, we will be committed to your:
- Goals – You set the agenda and you choose the goals. Your coach will pray for you, listen carefully to you, ask purposeful questions, and help you achieve the goals that you set.
- Encouragement – Your coach is your personal cheerleader. It is our job to encourage, challenge, support and affirm you as you explore new avenues in your life.
- Accountability – Your coach will plan to partner with you in holding you accountable for the changes you decide to make. Your coach will strive to help you achieve what you set out to do and at the same time attain a healthy balance in your life. You are the one who will decide what accountability is needed and when.
Now that you know about us…we would love to get to know you!
We would love to be given the opportunity to get to know you better and to work with you – figuring out where you want to go and how to get there! We would love to go on that journey with you, empowering you to:
- clarify your goals
- create action plans
- overcome roadblocks and
- reach your goals
Contact us today, and together we can explore and discover the wonderful plans God has for you!